On Jun 3, 2006, at 4:22 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

>> www.aave.info/test/index.html
>> www.aave.info/test/css/styles.css
>
> Interesting bug in Safari. The left column seemingly collapses in
> width, and the middle column slides over the left column.
> I say seemingly, because it is there, but has a zero-width compute
> value.

I figured out the problem. It all comes from those oversized margins/
paddings for one-true-layout.
The ul contains only floated elements and has a zero-height computed
value (correct). The huge negative bottom margin then eats up all the
space used for the left column. the #nav column essentially has a
negative height due to this.

Safari is not really wrong at all.

#nav ul::after {content:"[.]"; clear:both; display:block; visibility:
hidden}
will also fix the problem by forcing the ul to have a height
(clearing its floated content).

or #nav ul {overflow:hidden}
will do it, by establishing  a new containing block.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>