David Laakso wrote:
> Trevor Boult wrote:
>> I'm currently re-designing my Agriculture site
>> (http://www.ukagriculture.com) and wanted to know what is regarded as
>> the best fluid "3 column, header and footer" layout.
>> My dev pages are here http://www.tboult.co.uk/dev/ag/
>> I seem to have issues with my current choice regarding the header not
>> being consitent in IE and Firefox.
>> This impacts the menu (DHTML menu builder) on the countryside page
>> linked from the index page (the only link currently working). I have
>> left a 1px border on the top div to see the difference.
>>
>> Trevor
>> http://www.tboult.co.uk
Best is a matter of opinion. Nothing wrong with what you've got-- but
maybe overly complex, with too many hacks?
I find the 2 & 3 col layouts on this
page<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/> work well for
me cross-browser. And with care no hacking(or only minor hacking) is
required.

Part of the problem with header, regardless of the layout, is the way it
is organized. /Think simple./ For the time, being, try stacking stuff,
instead of running it side by side. The whole page, including the
header, should hold a 200% zoom without breaking or overlap in a
compliant browser.
<h1>UK Agriculture</h1>
<h2>Farming & the Countryside - whats going on and why?</h2>
<search>search thing</search>
Your left column might be wider, and your right column narrower than
they are now.
Is the stuff in the left column a list?
Does there need to be the big space between images and text in the
center column?
Avoid horizontal padding on containers that have width specified.
Tidy Online<http://infohound.net/tidy/>, and the w3c CSS and markup
validators are your best friends.

Others may have better ideas, thoughts, and simpler method to resolve
your question.

Regards,
~davidLaakso