I wrote one - based on an article I read before - some time ago after my
tests:

/* Pure CSS Image Preloader */

#img-preload{
position:absolute;
height:0px;
width:0px;
overflow:hidden;
}

#img-preload img{
height:0px;
width:0px;
}

/* End of Pure CSS Image Preloader */

I haven't found a downside of this method yet. I checked it in FF 1.0.7
& 1.5.0.3, IE 6 SP2 in Win, FF on Mac and on Linux and Konqueror in
Linux. That's all I have - IE7 hasn't found its way to my systems yet...

This method did seem to work on all of those systems as it does not hide
any elements, but renders them invisible otherwise. This ensures that
the images are indeed loaded no matter which browser-client comes along.

Feedback on this method is greatly appreciated!

Greets,

Tobias