Hi Alastair,

On 6/14/06, Alastair Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Bernat,
>
> Bernat Lleonart wrote:
> > I am creating a layout based in em's.... the box
> > is 100px wide in FF, but it is 99px wide in IE.
>
> Only 1px difference? I'd expect that much from using percentages to do
> the page width! That could easily be rounding error.
>
> Felix might chip in that you shouldn't apply the sizing to the main font
> declaration:
> http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/73749
>
> I haven't made my mind up about that yet, I've a lot of reading and
> testing to do first.
>
> Layouts based on em's are not often a good idea, unless you can set a
> max-width on them (including IE if your user based includes that).
> http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlistcss-discuss/74715
>
> This *might* not apply to your page/site/experiment, but with no URL to
> see or motive given...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> -Alastair

I have found that, as you said, it might be a rounding error, the
problem comes from the text-size declaration in the body. I have tried
setting it to 100%, and then, in order to have a 100px wide box, I do
this:

body {
                                font-size: 100%;
                        }
#box {
                                font-size: 1em;
                                width: 6.25em; /* 100/16 */
                                background: gray;
                        }

That works correctly in both browsers.

Thanks for the url's, I'll take a look at them.

Bernat