[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> However, I DID attempt to check the style sheet yesterday with
> Dreamweaver's validator, and it found "parsing errors" with other
> bits of code that did not seem to have anything wrong with them. Is
> the w3 validator more accurate?

The W3C validators are definitely more accurate - although not flawless.
You're not designing _for_ DW -- only _in_ it, so forget _its_ "errors".

> I'm sorry, I know my code is a mess and needs cleaning up. I'm just a
>  bit intimidated about where to start. Any advice welcome.

If you can set up HTMLTidy so it actually works, then it will make
wonders cleaning up your source-code. Think Tidy has only really missed
1 error - regarding Microsoft's downlevel 'conditional comment' (which
is *not* valid) - for the 3 years I have used it.

However, Tidy is most often made useless by default when incorporated in
HTML-editors, so you'll have to set it up yourself, for your use and
choice of DocType.

Also, and *very* important: HTMLTidy can *not* correct what it doesn't
understand, and it can *not* make badly designed layouts work. Usually
not a problem.

Some online versions and sources...
<http://valet.htmlhelp.com/tidy/>
<http://infohound.net/tidy/>

<http://tidy.sourceforge.net/>

...and my own comments on Tidy (and editors)...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_07.html>
...that maybe aren't so relevant since I write "manually" in accordance
with XHTML DocTypes.

regards
        Georg
--