Thanks to Phillipe I have now solved my min-height problem in Safari and
IEmac (fingers crossed this hasn't created problems elsewhere!).

I have also learned that earlier versions of IE don't support margin :
auto, and that quote marks on the uris of background images, for example:
             background-image : uri('someimage.gif')
(which are incidentally so kindly added to css by "front-page"), don't
play nicely with IE mac. Isn't css fun!!

I'm sure I have overlooked many other little things on this site - I
really appreciate everyone's comments.

Cheers,
David