Thank you for the reply,

David Dorward wrote:
> On 15/06/06, Richard Allsebrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> The problem is that the validator seems to ignore the 'Cascade' part of
>> cascading style sheets
>>

> Actually, its the exact opposite.
>
> BECAUSE of the cascade, you can end up with your forground colour
> being displayed against a background colour (or vice versa) which
> effectively renders it invisible (and remember, your style sheets
> cascade with browser default stylesheets and user stylesheets.
Now I guess the really dumb question. I have never set a background
color for a link. That just seems strange to me. I have the appropriate
color set in my div where the link appears.

So it would seem that I now need to define a:link, a:hover, etc for each
place where there may be a different background color for each div I may
use a link in. That both kind of makes sense, but also would seem to
make things far more complex then they need to be. Or is there something
I could use when setting up (in this case) my links so that it would
know to inherit the appropriate background color?

Thank you

Dale