Andreas HÃ¥kansson wrote:
> Its only minor glitches ...

Maybe these aren't that minor.

> Explorer  6.0.2900.2180
> - No problems here.
>
> Firefox 1.5.0.3
> - The 2px high gap between the blue box and the black line has
> disappeared
>
> Netscape 8.1
> - Same as firefox since its the same engine

#check has a height: 278px;
#header has a height: 276px; and a padding-top of 2px.

Good browsers respect this height of header, meaning that #check cannot
respect the padding-bottom of 2px. No gap.

IE<7 expands the height of #header to 278px to fit #check.

> Opera 8.54 Build 7730
> - Vertically centers the main layout =(
What is the purpose of display:table in #container?

#container has a height of 100%;

Since there is no table-row in that box, I think an UA will contruct an
anonymous table-row and table-cell, and its vertical position seems to
be not defined:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#height-layout
"CSS 2.1 does not define how extra space is distributed when the
'height' property causes the table to be taller than it otherwise would be."

But I may be wrong here.

> - The background for the footer div gets messed up.
same in Safari. What is the purpose of display:table in #footer ? (Here,
border-collapse:collapse could fix this)

> Also, is there any good cross-brower alternatives to the
> FooterStickAlt (which I use) method which doesnt suffer from the
> problem where it could end up hiding contents due to overlapping with
> the contents in the above layer?

http://www.themaninblue.com/writing/perspective/2005/08/29/
"For this scenario you should provide a bit of space at the bottom of
your content which the footer can rise into without covering anything.
This can be done with a bit of padding or margin on your content."

> http://www.selfinflicted.org/css/layout_example.html

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html