Thanks for the replies, I have tried this method and it does work but is not
the look that I would like to have (overflow:auto).

I thought that I might be missing something.

Here is a link:
http://soxc.org/css/index.html

In IE 6.0 it works like I would like but then I have some float div issues
with a sidebar that I have in the full version.

I have found a way to set the min-width even in IE (bit of a hack thou) so I
guess I could conditionally set the class attributes for the pages that have
wide tables.  I was just hoping for a cleaner method.

<snip>
Large data table are a serious problem in css-based designs. Seriously.
A table based layout has one advantage, namely that the width for the
large data table, then the parent layout-table(s) expand to contain
that data-table.
CSS boxes don't work like that. Width is width, and constrained by
the width of the viewport.

One solution is to wrap your data-table in a <div>, and set the
overflow property to 'auto' for that div. If the data-table is to
wide to fit in the available space. the enclosing div will generate a
horizontal scrollbar, allowing the user to access the (hidden) the data.

If you show a url with a sample of the problem, we might be able to
suggest better or more precise suggestions.

Philippe
</end snip>