ben scott wrote me offlist:

> passes validation now, it makes no difference, it is working when
> these drop shadows arent in nested divs, also the technique deals with
> PNG transparency in ie by using technique in alistapart
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/cssdrop2/.

Hi Ben,
I think the ALA-method shouldn't invoke nesting problems (in your case
anyway): according to the css-rules nesting cannot have influence on the
dimensions.
Now your testpage on the web still has the validation-problems, so I
can't see what is (not) happening in your validated version.
I made a html-validated version too, and the strange thing: it does not
have problems with the dropshadows if resizing in FF or Opera or even
IE. :-)
This is the testpage
<http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-home3colours-nw.html>.
- For proper displaying in IE still some other things have to be
arranged... (as usual).

Greetings,
francky