Christine Reed wrote:
> Very many thanks David - your suggestion did the trick beautifully.  I will
> remember that!
> However, I don't understand what you mean when you wrote:
>
>                 Part of the problem, Claire, is the software can't find the
> doctype,
>                 because <dl></dl> is preceding it. Delete those.

RE: <http://www.clairerich.co.uk/introductionwhite.html>
Attempt to validate the page. The validation service(software) is unable
to find the doctype because it is blocked by the <dl> thing.
Browsers(software) have the same problem, I guess.
> I wonder if I could trouble you once again re the same page:
>     http://www.clairerich.co.uk/introductionwhite.html
> The image stays put but I still have a problem with the border between
> column2 and column3 - that looks good at 1024 res, but as for the image,
> when you resize th viewport down (res 800 or favourites open), that border
> shifts right and goes over the text in the 3rd column.

I am not good at fixing stuff. So most of the time I start with a clean
sheet. This page uses your content in a /different/ layout:
<http://www.chelseacreekstudio.com/claire1.html>
There are some considerations: the header image may need to be trimmed
so that you don't get the little h-scroll bar @ 800 in ie; the header
will never be less wide than the width of the image; the content layout
will only fold to the width of the the image in the center column; and,
the image in the right col could be a little less wide.
It will not work ala carte.
It is not generally a good idea to set fonts in pixels. Users have to
put ie in accessibility mode to scale them. Justified text works fine in
print media(sometimes), but on the screen it causes rivers.
Users, some of whom may be older(or a lot younger) than you, always
appreciate designers who honor default for setting the primary content p.
> Christine
Others on the list may have a better method of resolving some, if not
all, of these issues.
Regards,
~d

--