Richard Grevers wrote:

> I am struggling with my conditional comments syntax. The MSDN
> reference [1] does not give any examples of using comparison
> operators.

The operator compares two arguments: op a1 a2

> If I use <!--[if lte IE 6]>  as per some example sites, the styles are
> not applied.

This is the correct syntax. The following is served to IE less than or
equal to the version number 6. The problem is not the Conditional
Comment here.

I think you have IE7 installed side-by-side to a IE6 standalone. If this
is the case, note that every IE shares the same version vector: "7.0000"
(since beta3, it is not "7.0b" anymore as it was in beta2).

MS does not support two versions of IE next to each other, the official
recommendation is to use virtual machines, or to use another development
machine.

If this should not be your favorite solution to the problem for some
reasons, then you may use just the conditional expression [if IE], and
filter the old way with the star html hack inside

<!--[if IE]>

  * html #outer,
  * html .maincolumn { whatever: value}

  * html #wsm_services { whatever: value}

<![endif]-->

> But if I use <!--[if IE lte 6]>, the corrected styles are applied, but
> for some reason IE (both 6 and 7) is displaying the conditional
> comment code <!--[if IE lte 6]> <![endif]-->  at the top of the page

In the msdn article you are citing, there is no error recovery strategy
for the parser defined. Meaning that there is no such strategy. Showing
the wrong syntax could be a good idea, but applying the rules
nonetheless is not.

"Conditional comments are processed during the downloading and parsing
phase, so only the content that is targeted for the browser loading the
Web page is actually downloaded." According to this, IE is wrong
applying the rules, because the target expression must not apply.

> See http://www.dramatic.co.nz/wfsm/test3.html for a demonstration.
>
> [1]
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

Ingo