Well I'll be swiggered.

After futzing with the CSS for a good long time, something about the
floats finally clicked.

I changed the order of the includes. I load the leftnav first, *then*
load the header, and now it works. It wasn't the CSS at all.

Even so, I do thank Michael Landis for offering some simplification of
my code. I still have some spacing tweaks to do, but this is
fundamentally sound, right across the major browsers. Loading leftnav
before header is a bit of a kludge, as it's contrary to common sense,
but since this template is mainly for our own internal use, I'm willing
to accept that.

If anyone can work out a better solution, one that would put the
includes in a more logical order, it'd be appreciated but not necessary.
I will, as they say, leave that as an exercise for the student.

Skip Knox
Boise State University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]