On 7/7/06, Dova Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I understand that pixel perfect results across browsers are not
> realistic, but what can I do to improve this at least a little?
>
> See http://209.211.255.131/newsite/testjuly7.html. The CSS code is at
> http://209.211.255.131/newsite/testjuly7.css.
>
> The spacing in IE6 is much more "generous" than any other browsers I've
> tested, including NN6, NN7, and Firefox. In IE6 there is more space than
> I'd like between the quick links/search area at the top and the
> logo/header and between news and sidebar items. In NN6, NN7 and Firefox
> I feel like the spacing is too tight and want to add some padding.
>
> Suggestions on how to add space in those "tight" browsers without
> getting even more space in IE6?

Hi, Dova,

Welcome to the world of inline formatting contexts! Basically, you're
running into several rules -- and interesting interpretations of those
rules -- that impact:

* what the top of a float aligns to [1]
* how inline elements work [2]
* how floats are supposed to expand beyond their container[3] and don't in IE[4]

It's a lot to swallow in one gulp. For the case you have here, though,
it is probably easier to forgo floats altogether and position the
search box absolutely on the right edge of the content area. I've done
this as a sample at
http://www.michael4css.info/examples/gwu/testjuly7.html.

HTH,

Michael

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#float-position, rules 4 through 6
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#inline-formatting
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#floats
[4] When you add a dimension to an element containing a float, the
element will incorrectly wrap around the float in IE. This is probably
the reason you are seeing excess spacing in IE.