On Jul 12, 2006, at 4:38 PM, Bernat Lleonart wrote:

> IE6-Win renders xx-small as 9px, and x-small as 10px. However,
> FF1.5-Win renders both xx-small and x-small as 10px.
>
> I have been told that in FF, under Tools > Options > Content > Fonts &
> colours > Advanced > Minimum font size, it is by default set to 10px.
> I have Web Developer Toolbar installed, and I can disable that minimum
> font size so xx-small == 9px.
>
> What I want to know is whether that minimum font size is set to 10px
> by default when you first install FF, and if it is like that in all
> versions of the browser.
>
> If that is true, then we can't use xx-small to render 9px fonts, which
> I think is a limitation, and besides, we have two different keywords
> (x-small and xx-small) that look the same size in FF.

Firefox' default is minimum font-size set to none.

But you cannot rely on the UA having a specific keyword compute to a
specific font-size.
In my copy of IE 6, running on XP sp2 Japanese release, IE defaults
to 17px for medium, with other keywords scaled appropriately.
(and that is a plain default install).

IE also has a different way of scaling fonts when the user resizes
the setting from the view menu. Keyword based font-settings will jump
from keyword to keyword (other UA's scale by some percentage value),
whereas em-based dimensions will scale based on some percentage value
(20%, I think).

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh