One of the commenters asked Faruk that question, and here is the reply:

#21 · Faruk Ateş · Sep 7, 2005 (16:18)

    Dean,

    If you click on a default, square button, it'll invert the bevel and
move the text slightly to make it appear as if you've actually pushed
it in, pushed it deeper. Using the * selector removes that
functionality, and when you then click a button, it'll not look as if
you're pushing it in.

--Guy K. Haas
  Software Exegete in Silicon Valley