iris wrote:
> i'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown and hope someone here
> can solve this problem.  this is my first attempt at css
> dropdown menus (following instructions in 'more eric meyer on
> css').  everything's just dandy in mozilla and opera but it
> doesn't work in IE6.  the weird thing is that it _does_ work
> if i stick the css into the html file.
>
> html file with internal css (which works in IE6):
> http://jarmin.com/clients/genderwerk/template.html
>
> html file with external css file (which doesn't work in IE6):
> http://jarmin.com/clients/genderwerk/template-extcss.html
> external css file:
> http://jarmin.com/clients/genderwerk/css/dropdown.css
>
> it gets weirder.  there was a similar discussion recently
> where the advice was to "trigger the hover effect, by first
> setting a style for the hover on the <a> itself, before IE
> 'sees' the hover style for the stuff inside of it."  i fiddled
> with that for a while but didn't get anywhere.

This isn't the same thing - IE doesn't support :hover on anything
else than <a>, and your <li> elements (obviously) aren't inside
<a> elements.
When I disable JavaScript, not even the first link above works. I
don't know where your script is, or what's in it. Perhaps it
contains an absolute url so that it works for your local file but
not for the uploaded one? Or it writes stuff that needs to be
together with the CSS styles, so there fore it needs to sit in
the html file together? I don't know any JavaScript anyway, but
the answer must be somewhere in there I suspect.

> div#nav li:hover {
> background: #d4eaae;
> }
>
> div#nav ul.level1 li.submenu:hover ul.level2 {
> display : block;
> width : 20em;
> }

Yup, won't work on IE.

> if i use the external css file but stick just these two
> instructions into the html file it works locally on my
> computer but as soon as i upload it to the remote site it
> doesn't work anymore.  when i noticed that, i gave up because
> that just doesn't make any sense to me.  why would it work
> locally but not remotely?

Did you also upload the JavaScript?

--
Els