> Hey one and all,
>
> I was wondering ifm with css, it is possible to create the kind of effect
> that I have made here [ www.amici-noctis.net ] whereby I can create a layer,
> and once it is moved over by the mouse it will hide the default layer and
> display a series of divs with content , links and images. I know from
> various sites that this is indeed possible, with image swapping and all that
> but it is the multiple divs with seperate styles that I am wondering about.
> The example above was done using very very basic java mixed with css, and as
> can be seen it is a very very crude method, with massive problems when the
> mouse moves between divs. I was hoping some of you guys could point me in
> the right direction with this as I would sorely love be able recreate this
> effect using nothing but css.

For CSS2 compliant browsers you could do that in CSS, as they allow a
hover over all elements. For MSIE6 it isn't possible with CSS. To be
on the safe side it does make sense to do it with JavaScript (which
has nothing to do with Java apart from the name). Your JavaScript does
not take event bubbling into consideration and flickers when you hover
over the links. You can easily fix that, but that solution is for
another mailing list.

The other thing you might want to think about is keyboard access. Now
there is no chance to reach the content unless you hover over it,
which is a bit "old school" in terms of web design IMHO.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com