At 06:26 AM 7/20/2006, Natalie Downe wrote:

>>Nice layout and a marvellous 'first real try'.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm quite proud of myself, too, for being able
to get this far. I just wish I had a better clue as to how to troubleshoot
the little problem areas...but I guess that's what this listserv is for!

>>All I would say (in addition to what has been said) is to move your
>>background image from the wrapper and put it in the header. That way,
>>when anyone resizes the text significantly, the background remains
>>throughout the height of the header - whereas now it stops and the text
>>goes down below it.
>
>I would agree with this, good work on your first attempt, and yeah the
>background image on the header would make resizing the text work more
>smoothly.

I actually originally had the background image on the header, but when I
did that, it created a white space between the header and the subheader
that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of. When I moved the background
image to the wrapper, that's when the white space disappeared.

Even if the image was moved into the header, wouldn't the text squeeze out
anyway when the browser is shrunk significantly b/c the image is a fixed size?

>Regarding getting the line to stretch to the bottom of the page
>regardless of the length for either column, there are a number of ways
>of getting it to work and I'm sure everyone has their favourite, in
>this case I would personally be tempted to use a background image on
>the container of your nav and content, (possibly have a go putting it
>on the body) where the image consists is 1px by 1px and is the colour
>of the line you want, then set the background-repeat to be repeat-y
>and then play around with background-position till you have it where
>you want it. If however you could guarantee that the content is always
>going to be longer than the navigation just use a border-left on the
>content div.

The background image solution seems to be what many people have suggested.
I was going to test setting border-right on the nav and adjusting the
relative positioning of the nav contents, but I may end up just going with
the background image idea as neither the content nor the navigation can be
guaranteed to be a specific length once we implement this template across
all of our clinic center sites.