Just to let folks know, I found the answer for myself.

If I absolutely position the left nav (I know!), then IE behaves
itself. I have to do some compensating negative margins, and hack
specifically for IE, plus I then have to use a container in order to get
the footer to position correctly below the leftnav, and I doubt it works
well in IE5.0, but it does the trick for this particular urgent need.

I look forward to a general reconstruction of the site!

>>> On 7/25/2006 at 9:37 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael
Landis"

--