At 10:45 AM +0100 7/28/06, Alex Robinson wrote:

>This thread will stop now. It has not only had no relevance to the
>reason for this list (the discussion of the practical use of CSS) but
>it has also seen a fair number of people spout off about their own
>particular ideological hobby horses.

    And that's why the whole tables-versus-CSS holy war is firmly
off-topic for the list.  It's not a topic that can be resolved, and
every time it comes up it leads to a lot of arguing, analogies,
counter-analogies, ideological statements, and just general heat and
noise.  There is a wiki page which summarizes the argument
(http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TablesvsDivs), although with an
admitted bias against using tables for layout, which I suppose isn't
too remarkable given that this is a CSS list.
    One day, I might go in and try to make the tone a little more
neutral.  But if so, I'm going to do it there, and not on the list.
That's because if I did it on the list, I'd be tossing opinion and
ideology at 7500+ subscribers all around the world, all of whom
signed up for a list devoted to practical CSS discussions, not
meta-conversations about the Rightness and Purity of one design
approach versus another.
    Our role here is to help one another use CSS to the best of our
abilities; to better understand the strengths and weaknesses of CSS;
and, by implication, to let each of us see for ourselves how those
stack up against the strengths and weaknesses of other approaches
(tables, Flash, WPF, whatever).  Not to argue about the contrasts
here, where the argument would quickly drown out the list's mission,
but to let every member improve their abilities and make their own
decisions for each design situation they encounter.

--
Eric A. Meyer (http://meyerweb.com/eric/), List Chaperone
"CSS is much too interesting and elegant to be not taken seriously."