>> I think the trick is that your middle column is fixed, so you need
>> your left and right columns to be 50% of the available width, and
>> have margins equal to half that in which the middle column will
>> sit. Someone may have a more economical solution, and I'm not sure
>> how this works cross browser, but the following may help you get
>> started...
>> There are a lot of extra divs here - there may be a lot better way
>> of doing this, but this is what popped into my head first.

It looks like Bart is now going to use 1 large background image to solve
this - which makes semantic sense (ie no empty divs) as well as keeps
the markup a lot cleaner.

Just for completeness' sake I might point out that using floats with
negative margins is a more economical, and (I think) a more elegant way
of having a fixed middle column with fluid sidebars than the absolutely
positioned method I first thought of. Again, I don't know how it goes
cross browser, but will work that out if this issue ever comes up for
me. Or maybe someone already has a link?

D#