Dear Eoin:

It is important not to get too carried away with CSS and divitis.  For
instance, using the <strong> element isn't necessarily bad in certain
contexts such as a book title or something that should contextually be
bold.  Another example is if you want section headers to be twice as big as
the text.  Don't create a new class for it, just use the <h2> element, etc.
Not all (X)HTML is bad.  If you aren't sure what exactly bolding is for (W3C
explains the element as "indicating stronger emphasis").  In my opinion,
using the <strong> element in most cases is not a no-no.

For all other uncertainties, think of your page as a research paper for
school.  Without any styling, does it make since?  Does where you use a <h1>
make since in a paper heirarchy/outline?  That is the true nature of HTML,
to mark up research documents.  CSS is simply design.

In peace,

Amy M Ostrom
Web Interface Designer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 8/3/06, Eoin Maguire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Occasionally I find that I need a style that's essentially exactly the
> same
> as a previously made style (for example, the same BG colour and font-size)
> but the new style needs something extra like bolding or something small
> like
> that.
>

> It seems strange to create a whole new style just for adding bold text but
> then I can't think of any other way of doing it. I've ended up creating
> styles named things like 'makeBold' with nothing more than "font-weight:
> bold" inside them.
>

> I keep thinking this is going against the proper way of doing scalable CSS
> but can't think of a way of avoiding creating this extra style, short of
> using <strong> tags.
>

> Is this the proper way of adding simple levels of styling?

In peace,

Amy M Ostrom
Web Interface Designer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]