> > Use wired.com and espn.com as examples. Espn.com gets over a million hits
> > a day and is all css. They are a huge business. If css is a viable
> > solution for them, it is for you too.
> >
> > Defo use espn.com as an example of how to use css, but not how to
> > structure xhtml (over 2000 validation errors) - the symbiosis between css
> > and xhtml is destroyed if the content is semantically compromised.

With all due respect, but if you have no clue what you are talking
about then please don't use any "this is the best solution" and "no
need for javascript" and "javascript makes it a moot point". It is all
good and dandy to play with CSS and claim that it is the best thing
since sliced bread but when it comes to browser support, ease of
maintenance and use on wide reach web sites then JS beats CSS
hands-down.

- - - snip - - -
DHTML depends on JavaScript, so it's a moot point. Not all clients will have
DHTML enabled, and it is perfectly possible to create a menu in css that
will look fine in most browsers - especially since we may be able to say
goodbye to the box model hack with the advent of IE7 being shipped to XP
users very soon.
- - - snap - - -

How do you "enable DHTML"? I can enable or disable CSS and/or
JavaScript and DHTML is a mix of all. The box model hack has NOTHING
to do with the problems of CSS-Only menus - the problems are lack of
keyboard support, no way to test for support (you can with JS) and
general flakiness in use as you need to have a steady hand/eye
coordination.
Here's a fact: Not all clients will have CSS enabled or not have your
CSS or even enough screen space to accommodate for a menu like this.

There are WORLDS in between DHTML menus from 1999 and what you do
nowadays with JavaScript and CSS. If you are too blinded by the shiny
new toy ":hover" then it is sad that a lot of clever people (including
IBM, Sun and Mozilla) spend so much time on making solutions that are
accessible, allow you to style them any way you want to and have
cleaner HTML than CSS solutions to boot. We could rather use our time
building shiny useless effects, make money and go to the pub.

A pure CSS menu is NOT ready for a market where MSIE 6 is still a VERY
strong player and MSIE 7 is not yet likely to take over. Please check
with some real big sites before assuming the CSS/Webdev world is who
to care about.

ALL of the above web sites USE JavaScript to enhance the CSS behaviour
of the menus to work for more user agents. For a multi level menu CSS
is just not stable to use and the wrong technology. Read my rant on
this why: http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/77801

The discussion about internationalization is rather off-topic as that
is something you do in the HTML and neither in CSS nor JavaScript.
However, I guess it is easier to make a menu open to the right instead
of to left on arabic and hebrew language versions with JavaScript.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com