juliann wheeler wrote:

>>> http://www.juliannwheeler.com/phyve/Phyve_Final/index_final.html

>>> It looks great in Firefox, but in Internet Explorer many of the
>>> boxes are placed in the wrong place.
>

>> Looks great :-) but not very usable. You should try to use those
>> pages in Lynx - especially the front page, and add all the missing
>> pieces (alt-attributes - with suitable content) that the W3C
>> (X)HTML validator mentions as "errors".

> What is Lynx?  What will  that achieve?

Lynx is a browser, and it will tell if your pages/sites are constructed
in such a way that they _can be used_ at the most basic level, which is
a must when it comes to usability - and anything else in web design.

No pages/sites can be "made to work" with css and/or javascript - only
make them look and work better once the basics are in place.
If the basics are missing, then we're only "painting the dead" with all
the other stuff. That's what you have done, IMO.

You can test _your_ pages/sites in Lynxview...
<http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html>
...and there you will find where to download the browser also - in case
you need it.

>>> If you clock on "who" on the left nav you can see 4 different
>>> pages:
>

>>> Each of these pages has a heading above the content in a teal all
>>>  caps font. Even though the placement of this box that holds this
>>>  type is the same on each of these pages you can see in IE how it
>>>  jumps around and is different on each one of these pages.
>

>> Defaults are not identical across browser-land, so you'll have to
>> set margins and line-height and what-not as you like it to turn
>> out.
>
> It makes sense that defaults are not identical across browserland.
> But the 4 different pages mentioned above all have the same layout
> and same code. It doesn't make sense, why a SINGLE  browser (ie
> Internet Explorer alone) would display each of these pages
> differently.

Parts of IE's default is to ignore dimensions and calculate line-height
in its own unique way. I know only too well that it doesn't make sense,
but there isn't all that much that makes sense in IE.

Now, you have not applied /complete styles/ to the elements you have
problems with. Try doing that first, and we'll help you if any senseless
bugs are still disturbing it - in IE.

Still no way to make it work in _my_ Firefox, Opera or IE, since you
have locked all (existing) text inside "fix sized" containers.
Result: parts of the text is hidden from view, so I *have to* use Lynx
(or rather Opera's user-styles) to be able to read what it says...

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no