Michael Geary wrote:
>> From: Mark Wheeler
>>
>> I have a little problem I can't seem to figure out.

> http://mg.to/test/float.html
>
> When I load the page in IE, the "MORE TEXT GOES HERE" is below the
> red box, just like in Firefox.

Solution (one of many) is to isolate the container: keep the clear from
acting on elements outside the container.

SOME TEXT GOES HERE...

...and so on. Se below for references.

> I ran into what looks like the same problem this morning. On the
> right side of this page is a calendar widget and event list:
>
> http://blog.zvents.com/

Similar problem, and similar solution.

> http://www.zvents.com/widgets/calendar/2/zvents-calendar-fancy.html

Similar problem, and similar solution.

> Is there a reference that anyone can recommend that would help
> explain this kind of problem?

Containing and isolating floats will also isolate any 'clear'. Thus, the
relevant information is found here:

'Block formatting contexts' in all standard compliant browsers:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#q15>
The choice of style (float/CSS-table/overflow) to achieve the right
effect, depends on entire layout in each case.

'Not quite the same standard', for IE/win only:
<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html>
The choice of hack (or not) depends on entire layout in each case.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no