jaklitsch maya wrote:

>Thank you all very much.
>
>The problem is solved and I had also fixed the
>validation problem earlier with some other advice.

Glad to hear! :-)
While your solution wasn't uploaded yet (and I didn't get this message
before), I went on with the IE bug hunting in the original page.
First I made a somewhat smaller page for easier scrolling - with all
types of classes and id's in it.
Then (after the validating fixes) I applied the container construction I
mentioned before, and put an IE Italic Bug fix in it.
Working perfectly!
But!
Then I pasted your whole html back in the page ... and IE gap right side
of the header again! :-(
See testpage all-in-one
<http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-keynote2004-combipage.html>.
I tried to isolate different parts of the page, but couldn't get a
finger on it. It seemed sometimes the bug was triggered in line x, and
then in line y: unpredictable, and no relation to a particular class or
id...
Commenting out from bottom upwards, I came to a line where it was going
wrong: with a class "publisher", but that is a class that was used
before also, and did not trigger the IE gap.
Readed the all PIE-pages about IE-bugs again, tried everything (relative
positioning, holly hack, others)...: in vain!

Conclusion (the only thing I could imagine): it must be just the amount
of code in the rather long page.
So I splitted your page in two halfs:
Testpage-part1
<http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-keynote2004-page1.html>
and
Testpage-part2
<http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-keynote2004-page2.html>

O wonder: problem disappeared. :-)
I didn't know, for me it seems to be a new Mystery Bug: the "IE Long
Page Bug".
-- Anyone seen (a description of) this before?

>Someone asked why I used the definition list. I used
>it because it gave me the layout I wanted quickly and
>easily.
>
>I am still very much a novice with css and xhtml (have
>used html for a number of years with table layouts)and
>so I am trying simple solution so I will not get too
>confused too often.
>
>The help of this group is really priceless.
>
>I have only one question.
>
>Could you please explain why this simple solution
>worked and how. I do understand the overflow: hidden,
>but the first half of the code I do not understand.
>The solution is quite elegant.
>
>MJ

What exactly do you mean with "the first half of the code"?
- Anyway, often IE is a kind of black box: you put some good html and
css in it, and what comes out is always a surprise! :-D

Cheers,
francky