Kim,
there is indeed a Byte Order Mark at the start of your file. Chanches
are it is an artifact inserted by your text editor when saving as utf-8.
If you open that file (or the saved page source) in a non-utf8-aware
text editor (like plain old Notepad on Win98) you'll see that the first
line starts with "". While it is not visible on your page, usually
Gecko-based browsers DO show the offending characters.

What you can do:
1.) Check your text editor's options if you can tell it somewhere to
save as "UTF-8 NO BOM" or similar;
2.) Go for a text editor that has such an option (I use Notepad++:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/);
3.) Manually edit each file in Notepad, deleting those characters (they
serve no purpose on the web, see:
http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#29).

Anyway, you should make sure the browser knows the file is utf-8. If you
have access to your server configuration (or .htaccess file) just add a
line saying "AddDefaultCharset utf-8". If you can't (or want to be sure
it works even when saved on disk) change your meta element to:

Hope it helps.

djn

--
Dejan Kozina