richard n wrote:
> I've had a few emails about the horizontal dotted borders being
> rendered as blurred dashes in IE PC.
>
> >From what I've been told the borders look ok (but dashed) when the page
> is static, but as the page is scrolled the borders start to degrade
> (the gaps between the dashes start to fill in) - I've been sent a
> couple of very ugly looking screengrabs.
>
> (I'm assuming that IE PC has a fundamental problem rendering dashed
> borders, and it isn't just doing this because my CSS says 'dotted'.)

re: <http://www.richardnicholson.com/testing/list_text.html>
It is an IE bug that is corrected in IE7.

> This is a naive question, but is it possible, using CSS, to tell IE to
> render the borders as solid, whilst other browsers can be left to
> render the borders dotted? - That would my ideal solution.

That is a nice simple way to go about it.
Create a separate stylesheet and save it as style4ie.css (or whatever
you like).
Save the the ie specific correction in it, for example:
#foo { border: 1px solid #f1f1f1; }
Link the style4ie.css stylesheet within 'conditional comments.'
Add this ie specific stylesheet directly below your stylesheet for all
browsers.
Only win/ie6 and down will see the solid border:
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" />
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="style4ie.css" type="text/css" />
<![endif]-->
[1]<http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html#hackmanagement>
[2]<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp>

> Richard