> But I have a feeling that browsers should deal with that direction
 > stuff automatically anyway.

Nope, turns out that they don't handle that kind of thing automatically.
  So use this final bit of mark up (as pure as I can get it):

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>
        <head>
                <title>Language Test</title>
charset=utf-8">
body { direction: rtl; }
[lang=en] { direction: ltr; }
        </head>
lang="en">English words</span>להישגים; אלוף גדי אייזנקוט,</p>

Add a 'class="en"' on English elements if you want it to work in IE
(which I assume you do), then change the:
[lang=en] { direction: ltr; }
rule to:
.en { direction: ltr; }

Brad