Hi Gunlaug,  thanks for the explanation.  After reading the ALA
article on negative margins I think I understand the reason for the
LayoutGala  #wrapper around #content and why I don't need it.  My
source order has the #sidenav before the content and it isn't
floated....so the css ends up being much simpler and there is no need
for the #wrapper.  I think the main point I have missed in the past
is, "margins (and thus, negative margins) are handled differently for
floated and inline elements than they are for non-floated block-level
elements."....more news to me and possiblly the missing link to my
misunderstandings.  Now I just have to find info on 'why & how' they
are handled differently.  Thanks again....and I'll be back! hehe...

rollandburn wrote:

 > http://blog.html.it/layoutgala/LayoutGala24.html
 >
 > div#wrapper{float:right;width:100%;margin-left:-200px}
 > div#content{margin-left:200px}

Try to think of it like this:
1: div#wrapper will show up as a 100% wide float-container, but will
/only take up space/ equivalent to '100% minus 200px' (regardless of how
much that is).
That leaves 200px empty space on the left side.

2: div#content will stay 200px away from the left edge of div#wrapper,
so it won't cover up the empty space on the left side.

Result: there's 200px empty space for 'navigation' and 'more stuff here'
to stay in.

----

Method with 'negative margins' on floats is best described here...
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>
....and your LayoutGala example is just a variation.

This example on my site is a bit "overdone"...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_demo_float_03.html>
....but the entire page-layout and the 'removed floats' rely entirely on
the same 'negative margins' method as described in the ALA article. A
useful bit of standard float-behavior.

regards
        Georg
--