Thanks, Gunlaug... it works!

By the way, your comment about not blaming a particular browser led
to an epiphany for me... each browser has its own defaults for HTML
structural elements, that there is no one "correct" way to render,
and that it's up to me to specify rendering explicitly if I want the
content to conform to my design intent. I've been working with CSS
for 3 months, and this concept was never clear in my mind until now.
Thanks!

Is there an online resource somewhere that lists all the HTML
elements that are rendered differently among browsers, and shows what
CSS attributes you must tweak in order to get browsers to render the
elements similarly? This would be very handy. The alternative for me
is trial and error. (For instance, in this case I was fooling around
with margin, padding, text-indent, and list-style attributes for
hours before you showed me the right combination of attributes to set.)
--
Dean Champeau
Champeau Services