On 04/10/06, Delos Woodruff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tried to validate a page and got a particular error. Specifically,
> because I'm using a strict html doctype, it didn't like the final > in
> the css link.
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="test.css" / >

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/empty.html explains but the short
version is:

  The /, in HTML terms is part of a NET tag and closes the element, so
the ">" is the same as &gt;, which isn't allowed as raw data inside
the head element. NET tags should be avoided in HTML:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.3

In XHTML things are different, but if you're writing HTML, don't have the "/".

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>