Since the hack did not work for you, you might be testing this on IE7?
For IE 7 this hack has been "fixed".

You will find more on conditional comments here.
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html
Conditionals can only be used for Windows Internet Explorer, not on
Internet Explorer for Mac OS (no matter which version).
Even if Conditionals are not hacks in the common sense, they should
only be used if there is no other way. Usually conditionals will
contain very little extra code.

regards, Jens

On 10/9/06, Alexandru E. Ungur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> Hi,
>
> > I would not try to use the hack on top property but rather on the
> > height property since that is what is causing the problem. IE reads
> > the height placing the padding-top outside of the box and FF takes it
> > inside the box, like it should be according to W3C box model.
> Exactly, that's the problem I'm having. Sorry for not being more
> explicit, I did use the trick on height, but for some reason it
> didn't work as expected, so I wasn't sure it the hack is still
> working novadays.
>
> > Either use IE Conditionals and add a IE specific css file (which will
> > only be read by IE), which is placed after your general css file.
> > Example:
> > <!--[if lte IE 7]>
> > <link media="screen" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="ie.css" />
> > <![endif]-->
> Wow, this looks great! :) Thanks a lot!
>
> Thank you,
> Alex