> No ambiguity at all, imho. Both selectors have the same specificity.
> Both target the same element: a p that is a descendant of a div (this
> can be div p or div div p or  div div div p). Descendant is the
> keyword here.
> The second selector wins, because it comes last in the stylesheet.
> CSS does not take your proximity into account.
<snip/>
> What you probably should do is using child selectors (selector1>p,
> selector2>p,.... or any combination [1]). This doesn't work in IE 6,
> as you know.
> Or, you can tag your p with a class.

Thanks Philippe for confirming that. Not sure where I picked up the
idea that proximity was a factor in calculating specificity, but I
rechecked the specs, and there's no mention of it there for sure.
The child selector is exactly what I need of course, and as that's not
feasible (I have to support IE6) I need to back out of this and add
some more classes into my markup. Its a case of premature optimization
I think .. trying to do to much with too little.. plus it reminds me
that anytime you have to look hard at specificity, you know you've
created a maintenance nightmare for the guy that picks up that code
after you.

Sam