At http://03.infocopa.com/programmes/efficacite.html , you'll find a little
"note" icon in the second paragraph, right after "dans le monde". In
Firefox, hovering over the icon displays a footnote, as a block positioned
right next to the icon. In IE, unfortunately, the hover doesn't work.

I know that IE only supports :hover on links, so I coded as follows:

class="inline-footnote" href="" onClick="return false"><span>Les projets
ESPACE sont établis [blah blah] et l&rsquo;Afrique.</span></a> En tant que
tel, il a été beaucoup étudié.</p>

The link contains a span with display: none. When hovering, a different rule
changes the span's display to block:

    a.inline-footnote {
     position : relative; /* set anchor for absolutely-positioned popup */
     padding-left : 16px; /* room to display icon as background-image */
    }
    a.inline-footnote span {
     display : none;
    }
    a.inline-footnote:hover span {
     position : absolute;
     left : 16px;
     top : 0;
     display : block;
     width : 12em;
     padding : 0.5em;
     border-width : 1px;
     font-size : 0.75em;
     line-height : 1.1em;
    }

It validates and works fine in Firefox. As I said, in IE the hover has no
effect. Thanks for any suggestions.