> Subject: Re: [css-d] EM's, Images, sperling.com, /16? Please advise.
>

> Micky Hulse wrote:
>
> >  >
> > Some of the folks who posted comments in below article/post seem to
> > think that it is not a good idea to use EM's for layout if dealing
> > with images, unknowns, and precision is needed:

 Georg wrote

> EMs for layout is one thing. EMs for image-sizing is another. EMs for
> everything is yet another. You can make it all work just fine if you are
> in control of everything, but that's rarely the case.
>
> So... look at _your_ case(s) and test out what works and what doesn't,
> and then _you_ can decide.
>
> Myself: I apply EM sizing of images in very rare cases, when I know, and
> like, what I get.

This I guess, sums up the whole issue. Depending on what the image is, (eg I
have a site where the photo has been blurred deliberately in standard form,
so using ems doesnt make any difference to its crispness!) Gifs etc respond
reasonably well. Web based images by their very nature will alwasy have
compromises. This is, like all web design, a matter for each site/designer
not a catch all. Just because we can do it, doesn't mean we should in al
cases.

Ian