@Georg -

I agree with not learning workarounds. One of the greatest potential
failings for me (especially when I started *having* to deliver almost
identical rendering for IE Win / standards-compliant browsers) was that
I started to use workarounds (and even a few hacks) as standard - which
is awful, awful practice.

Workarounds should never be learned - if they are absolutely necessary
they should be specifically implemented for the situation at hand, from
scratch.

Because cross-browser rendering is a teeming jungle, you're better off
learning the terrain rather than the paths, because paths off the beaten
track are quickly overgrown. :)

Regards,
Barney