Thanks! I'm getting closer, and indeed display:table will do that
trick in everything but IE. A follow-up question...

> IE6 does expand the container in that example-page, but if IE/win
> doesn't do that in an actual page, add...

You're right, in my original example everything's fine in IE. I have
updated the example to demonstrate the problem that remains in IE.
Again, the URL:
http://interfacethis.com/misc/css-test/wide-page.html

The pink #outer DIV is fine: display:table lets it expand in most
browsers, and IE expands it already. The inner orange #toolbar DIV
remains a problem, though. I would like it to expand to the width of
#outer, and setting display:table takes care of that for browsers
that understand it. But IE, while it does expand #outer as desired,
leaves #toolbar at the window width. Sadly, the zoom:1 trick doesn't
seem to help. Any further thoughts?

--Dave