From: James Condliffe
Sent: 03 November 2006 19:39
To: 'css-d@lists.css-discuss.org'
Subject: IE6 - Rendering bug - repeated content

Hi all,

I have intermittently experienced a weird rendering bug with IE over the
last few years as I've been learning CSS. The bug tends to manifest
itself in particularly complicated sections of floated layouts.

I have taken some example screenshots and posted them at the following
URLs:

http://www.jamiecon.net/ierender/eg1.jpg
http://www.jamiecon.net/ierender/eg2.jpg

As you can see, content seems to be repeated at a point below where it
originally appears. Although in the two examples the content 'moves' to
a simillar spot, the actal location of the copy is pretty random and in
other manifestations it's been in a different location. A strange quirk
of the effect is that if you highlight the original text, the copycat
text is also highlighted, as if by magic - this is apparent in the
second example.

My solutions up to now have been to fiddle with the layouts until it
goes away - an approach which is beginning to annoy me!

I have been unable to pin down either cause or resolution. I've also
been unable to find any literature on this exact problem (although a few
that are simillar). The bug doesn't appear to occur in IE7.

I'd be grateful for any comments about whether people have experienced
this problem, and what they found to be the best solution.

Many thanks,

James