On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 22:04:57 -0700, Dave Rathnow wrote:

> Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology.  By "viewport" I'm refering to
> the area that is visible at any one time.  Whatever it's called, it's
> more than reasonable
> to have the contents grown outside this area, maybe not horizontally, but
> definitely vertically as the contents change.

Agreed. My point about IE 7 is that your page, and most of mine, do
expand horizontally on zoom in that browser, even though there's no
necessity, and other browsers do not exhibit this behavior. This is
not a criticism of your basic premise.

> With this in mind, if you have to side-by-side divs, can you make them
> both grow together if the contents of one changes?

The answer is both yes and no. For most browsers the answer is yes.
For the world's favorite browser, the answer is mostly no, although
some solutions have been proposed, mostly with horrible side effects.

OTOH - I have not found a need for this behavior myself. I find that
working with the medium far easier than fighting to get some print
designer's notion of web design to work on the web. But then, I'm
lucky enough not to work in the corporate world.

Cordially,
David
--
www.hucklesby.com