Jonathan Lui on 08/11/06 04:05, wrote:
> hey all,
>
> This is something I'm working on,
>
> http://dev.r8dhex.net/stuff/sample1.htm
>
> Long story short, this is for a web-application, target browsers is FF/IE6+.
> My goal is to have a variety of form-controls that look good in different
> configurations, and different resolutions. I'd also like the inputs to
> expand when there is enough space. I'm trying to move away from table-based
> designs, since this will eventually be server-generated, and it will be
> easier if each label/input pair is sufficiently encapsulated.
>
> We used to have a 2-column table-based layout with fixed-size inputs
> depending on whether we need full-width or half-width, but if a user has a
> hi-res screen, the inputs spread out and leave big spaces in between. I
> tried using percentages, but then the inputs don't align properly along the
> right-side.
>
> Anyway, I'm pretty happy with this version, but there are still some bugs
> that I can't fix. I'd like half-width to be really 50%, and full should be
> 100%, but IE has different ideas on what 100% means. IE also has problems
> aligning the right side of the inputs, I'd like the right side of the
> full-width input to line-up with the right-side of the 2nd-column inputs.
> The select doesn't line up properly as well. Right now it can't handle
> longer labels. It would also be better if the form would switch to 1-column
> layout if the inputs go below a certain width.

Hi Jonothan
it looks pretty good in FF but I don't know about IE - but from your
description
  of the what the problem is, I can't really tell what's causing the trouble.
What I do know though is that the inputs won't expand to fill space. They come
in a certain width, and that's your lot. You could use em's to set that width
relatively to the browser font size.

Adam