I am using version control, with subversion, and wanted to keep all
compression to a post-processing thing
I have not worked too much with makefile.  I could have subversion
trigger it when I update.

I rechecked my compressor, and it works in Safari and Explorer
6......but does not work in  Firefox Mac/PC

I did amend my .htaccess to:
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .css
php_value auto_prepend_file /www/dev/bravo/css/compress-css.php

Maybe I should go bug the Mozilla folks as this topic is  probably
way OT :)