Responding to my own message with an update... if anybody cares.  =}

charles wrote:
> I've recently run into a new (to me) bug in IE6 and IE7 regarding
> fieldsets and legends.  I've been bashing my head against my desk for a
> couple days now and would appreciate it if anybody could let me know
> what the heck is going wrong.
>
> I'm using a position:absolute fix to place the Legend in the right spot,
> targeting IE with a conditional comment.  At first, I was having
> problems with the Legend not rendering in IE on a single fieldset, while
> other fieldsets on the same page (with almost identical contents)
> displayed the Legend as expected.
>
> I finally discovered that the Legend could be rendered by segregating
> the content by wrapping everything inside the fieldset except the Legend
> in a div (incidentally, placing an empty div between the Legend and
> following Label tag has the same effect).  However, adding that div
> caused IE to add a sizable hunk of whitespace further down the form.
>
> I've created a somewhat minimal, very ugly test case here:
>
> http://www.toxicwombat.com/fieldset_weirdness.html

The issue appears to be with the input elements being set to 100% width.
  If the containing div is dropped, and the input set to width:95%, the
legend mysteriously reappears (but the alignment between the input and
label tag goes to heck).  However, if the div inside the fieldset is
retained, and the input tags are set to width:98%, the legend is
rendered *and* the mysterious whitespace vanishes.

I played around with removing input {float:left;}, but it didn't matter
what width was assigned to the input element.  Any width caused the
absolutely positioned Legend to disappear.

And the fixed version:  http://www.toxicwombat.com/fieldset_weirdness.1.html

As a side discovery, inputs in IE apparently inherit the horizontal
margins from the fieldset.  That one was news to me.  Wrapping the
content in a div apparently cancels the inheritance (I could also target
IE with a negative horizontal margin, but what a pain in the butt).

Thanks for looking,
-charles