Michelle,

On Nov 27, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Michelle Tarby wrote:

> I decided to scrap the original style sheet that was
> cobbled together by someone else and the original HTML and start over
> again.  I'm just about there, but have gaps between the images in the
> right hand navigation in Firefox and can't figure out how to get
> rid of
> them.
>
> http://wwwdev.lemoyne.edu/campaign/index.html
> So far, I've trimmed the css and original html in half!
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Indeed it is much improved.  I'm not noticing any gaps in ff2 or
safari2 on my mac.

A couple of minor items.  First, your document is xhtml 1.0 strict,
but your server is serving it as text/html, which is incorrect.  I'd
suggest a document type of html 4.01 strict or xhtml 1.0 transitional
instead.  Second, I still prefer avoiding text as images unless you
need something highly stylized.  That way people with low vision can
navigate the site more easily.  Third, the html could use a bit more
structure.  Try viewing the site with css turned off to see what I
mean.  For example, I usually mark menus up as unordered lists.
There's nothing authoritative about that, it just makes sense to me,
and communicates better to users without css than a series of anchors
that happen to be next to each other in the source.

Give yourself a pat on the back.  You've made a lot of progress.

--
Roger Roelofs
"Remember, if you’re headed in the wrong direction,