[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I belong to a small group that has taken on the responsibility of
> overseeing the reconstruction of our college website. We are looking
> for a more accessible, practical and standards-based model and have
> made major strides in our planning process and drafts.
>
> As the design & planning forerunners of this project, my colleague
> and I have begun to look toward ASP.NET 2.0 Master Pages as a
> solution to designing templates for the entire website. Master pages
> appear to be a very convenient and sharp way of doing things. The
> master page method seems to give us a real option for presenting
> templates to even the most novice staff member for editing. However,
> there seems to be some apprehension as to the use of this technology.
> Is there anyone out there that uses master pages to design, maintain
> and edit a large website? Can you tell me some advantages it offers,
> especially in regards to providing templates to staff with multiple
> levels of web design knowledge?

Your question probably isn't for this list. However and so as not to keep
you hanging dry (apologies to list admins), a year ago I came away from the
idea of ASP.NET master pages as a nice idea but a great development time
waster (wasted two years). Theory simply didn't meet fact. You may care to
look at Rails and Django as frameworks far more friendly towards CSS layout
than .NET. A couple of useful lists for .NET stuff are
http://www.MsWebDev.org.uk/ and http://discuss.develop.com.

HTH,

Mike A