I am trying to replace text in a span tag with a custom bullet
graphic... while keeping the text and span image on the same line
An example would be:
View Map [bullet img]   Email

The below works in IE6 but fails in Firefox and Safari.

For some reason, I can not hide the text in the span tag without
giving the span tag a 'display:block' attribute.
Normally, I use the  'text-indent:-9000em'  technique, but have never
tried it in a span.
Without using display:block for the span, the text in the span tag is
not being indented or hidden from view.

Unfortunately, if I use display:block, the bullet img is no longer on
the same line as the 'View Map' text.
With display:block, I get:
View Map
[bullet img]
Email

html:

css:
.directions  {
   font: 1.4em/1.2em Georgia,  'Times New Roman', Times, serif; text-
align: center;
}

.directions  span {
   width:22px; height:21px;
   margin: 0 .1em;
   text-indent: -9000em;
   background: url('../images/bullet.png') no-repeat ;
}

many thanks in advance