>.square20 { width: 20px; height: 20px; }
>.rect1040 { width: 40px; height: 10px; }
>
>#a1 { top: 30px; left: 100px; }
>#a2 { top: 50px; left: 50px; width: 20px; height: 50px; }
>#a3 { top: 50px; left: 100px; }

Actually, I think that's more complex than needs be

You don't need to specify the widths and heights, just the x and y
coordinates. The lis, being absolutely positioned, will shrink to fit
whatever content is inside them.

http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/cssjunk/millionpixels

And yes, you could even overlay ads making use of suitable z-indexing
if you wanted to sell more complex shapes.

However I wouldn't do it this way. I'd do exactly what the original
onemilliondollarhomepage did and serve it as one big image and
overlay an image map. Because that way you only need to serve one
image rather than, potentially, 100 x 100 = 10000. Even very small
that's a lot of back and forth between the server. Not that that has
muh to do with CSS other than to stress that CSS is not a panacea for
all the world's problems and sometimes one should consider other
approaches as being more suitable.

So, who wants to buy an asterisk?