At 12/3/2006 02:55 PM, Stephen Oravec wrote:
>Is there any sites that scroll horizontal instead of vertical ?

A common objection to horizontal layout is that it's not possible
with today's browsers to jump to a local anchor to the left or right
of the current cursor position (only above or below), making
sub-content on a horizontal page even less possible to bookmark as
content in sub-frames.  I can't recall off the top of my head whether
it's possible to scroll sideways programmatically with JavaScript,
but even if so that wouldn't be a CSS solution.

One way I can see to address this layout with CSS (plus server-side
and/or client-side scripting to facilitate page navigation) would be
to compress all the side-by-side panels to very narrow columns,
opening up only the current panel to its full width -- rather like a
book.  But you might not find this idea appealing if you really want
to explore horizontally *scrolling* content.

Tangentially, one of the most effective uses of horizontal layout
I've ever seen is the Flash aspect of Gregory Colbert's photography
site http://ashesandsnow.org/ although quickly checking back there
today it looks as though he may have abandoned it.  It was a long
horizontal page, topologically circular (left & right edges
connecting), in which mouse movements caused the page to scroll to
the left or right revealing various photographs.  It was beautifully
done -- terribly inaccessible, but beautiful -- but then maybe I'm
just a sucker for Colbert's exquisite photography.

Regards,
Paul