At 12/5/2006 01:13 AM, Jan Erik Moström wrote:
>I'm trying to create a page header that should look like this

>| Page Header                        | Main | About | Blog |
>...     |
>
>But I always end up with

>| Page Header   | Main | About | Blog |
>...                          |
>
>In other words I don't understand how to get the menu to move to
>the right. The HTML code looks like this:

>              Page header
>              <ul class="sectionlist">
>                  <li>Main</li>
>                  <li>About</li>
>                  <li>Blog</li>
>                  <li>Research</li>
>                  <li>Photo</li>
>                  <li>Code</li>
>              </ul>

It looks like you want the menu to be flush
right, letting the page header take up whatever
remaining space there is at left.  Therefore I'd
float the page header left -- requiring that you
put it in a tag (ideally h1 or h2 because of its
semantic role) -- and float it left, then float
the menu right and float its list items left.

>Among other things I've tried using float but that
>makes a mess of things ...

What kind of a mess, exactly?  Is the float
problem solved by allowing your UL and LIs to
remain a block instead of forcing them to be
inline?  Or do you simply need to clear the float(s) after the div#pagetop?

Regards,

Paul